Custom Orthotics FAQ with Dardano’s Shoes Board Certified Pedorthist, Matt Pankau
Custom Orthotic Photo Slide Below
1. What is a Custom Orthotic?
A custom orthotic is a device that is intended to biomechanically compensate or correct for a foot condition by aiding the function of the foot to provide easier movement capability or to reduce pain. Made from either functional or accommodative casting methods of the individual’s feet, the finished orthotic is placed in the patient’s shoe to support the foot and eliminate abnormal foot biomechanics by keeping the lower extremities properly aligned.
2. Who can benefit from wearing orthotics and why?
Anyone can benefit from custom orthotics whether you are having foot pain or not. Custom orthotics can aid in proper skeletal positioning and reduce ground reaction forces to all weight bearing joints and pressure points.
3. What is the custom orthotic process?
- Postural evaluation and gait analysis with Pedorthist that include medical foot palpation and range of motion testing.
- Foam impressions are made of the individual’s feet.
- Casts are made, Pedorthist specifies individual features and modifications needed for proper alignment and then the cast is sent to Signature Orthotics in Brighton, Colorado to be fabricated (2 week turn around).
- A final fitting is done where adjustments can be made, if needed. The orthotics are now ready to go and you are on your way to ultimate foot comfort!
- A check-up appointment, with Pedorthist, is scheduled for 2-3 weeks after fitting appointment.
4. Custom orthotics vs. Over-the-counter inserts?
The primary difference between the function and features of over-the-counter inserts vs. customs orthotics is that custom orthotics are more finely calibrated to the individual. Over the counter orthotics are made for everyone where our custom orthotics are made for you, specifically. Our custom orthotics are calibrated for weight, foot sensitivity and activity level. They have a respectable life span up to 10 years with full adjustment and re-covering options available where over the counter orthotics do not.
5. Prices for Dardano’s Custom Orthotics?
- $375 for the first pair
- $275 for any additional sets, (duplicates, dress, sandal, ski, etc.)
*Prices for additional sets must be purchased within 30 days of casting.
6. Turnaround time on Custom Orthotics?
Turnaround time is usually within 10-14 business days.
7. What shoes do Custom Orthotics work best in?
Shoes may vary depending on function of the orthotic. Usually shoes with removable liners and footbeds that have similar width and girth of the custom orthotic. It is always best to be fit with the orthotic before purchasing new shoes to ensure correct fitting. At Dardano’s Shoes we offer a large selection of footwear that will accommodate your new orthotics including: sandals, walking shoes, boots, dress shoes and more!
8. What are the different types of Custom Orthotic available?
There are many types of Custom Orthotics depending on the condition of the individual’s feet. There are two main types- Functional and Accommodative. Functional Orthotics are designed to improve the biomechanics of the body while Accommodative Orthotics are designed to reduce GRF (Ground Reaction Forces) or accommodate foot deformities. We can also fabricate dress orthotics that work for heeled/ low volume footwear as well as orthotics designed specifically for sandals and ski boots.
9. How do you take care of a pair of custom orthotics?
Depending on the materials used, some orthotics can be recovered, heat “puffed” or heat molded to ensure longevity. See your Pedorthist for details.
10. Break in period for a new pair?
It is recommended to break-in your new Custom Orthotics gradually, depending on foot function and anatomy. Usually 1-2 hours a day for 3-4 days and then increase wear by 1 hour a day unless otherwise instructed by your doctor or Pedorthist.
11. Custom orthotic guarantee// return policy?
If you are not completely satisfied with your Dardano’s Custom Orthotics, let us know! We offer any modifications to our Custom Orthotics free of charge for the life of the orthotic. $150 casting fee is included in the price of all Custom Orthotics to cover materials and time, this portion is non-refundable.
Call Dardano’s Shoes today to schedule your Free Foot Evaluation Appointment with Pedorthist Matt Pankau. Click Here for Contact Us information
A Dardano's Shoes Pedorthist, giving customer a foot evaluation for Custom Orthotics
Foam Impressions made of Customer's Feet made for Dardano's Custom Orthotics
Inside Dardano's Shoes Orthotic Lab where all Custom Orthotics are manufactured.
Dardano's Pedorthist, fabricating a pair of Custom Orthotics
Dardano's Custom Orthotic - 3/4 length
Dardano's Custom Orthotic - Full Length Read More